Friday, September 23, 2011

Could Peddlers Have Been Among the First Jews in Vermont?

Amy E. Rowe's article "A Trace of Arabic in  Granite" in the summer/fall 2008 issue of the Vermont Historical Society journal Vermont History includes the following:
This description shared by a second-generation man in his seventies from
Barre, Vermont, was repeated in one form or another by the majority of
the Lebanese with whom I spoke. Some versions of this story note that it
was a Lebanese banker or merchant, others that it was a Jewish wholesaler
who got the new arrivals into the peddling trade.
 Although Rowe's reference is to peddling around 1908, bringing Lebanese families into Vermont, I've wondered whether it might be a shadow of how Jewish peddlers reached the Green Mountain State in the 1800s. I'm looking for more information that could fasten onto this thread.

I note here that there's a report of James Guild leaving Tunbridge, Vermont, in 1818 to become a peddler; I found the material in a Mecklenberg (NC) Historical Association newsletter. I'm just placing threads here for future consideration -- there's no suggestion that Guild was Jewish (from the material in the newsletter, I'm pretty sure he wasn't). But I suspect that as we keep looking at peddling in Vermont, we'll find time periods when it was carried on by members of particular ethnic groups. I think it will be worth investigating reports of "gypsies" arriving in town, too.

The photo below is from Hartford, Connecticut, in 1912; the label is:
“Charles Street Chicken Market”

Jewish Street peddlers on Charles Street Market, Hartford, July 25, 1912
(The Connecticut Historical Society)

No comments:

Post a Comment